Libby Bowles - SUP with a Shark, Believing in Yourself, River Wye and homemade Deliciously Ella food bars
February 18, 2022
I am thrilled to welcome Libby Bowles to The Joy of SUP Podcast today.
I first met Libby via Instagram and was struck by her commitment to the oceans and her energy for life. I was fortunate enough to meet and stay with her in Bristol when I went to Shextreme Film Festival and she is even more wonderful in person.
In this episode we talk about:
- Diving with whale sharks
- Research with the world's leading expert on manta rays
- Her first paddleboarding moment in Byron Bay in 2011
- SUP with a juvenile white shark and the wonder it brought
- Accidentally becoming an accountant
- Changing careers to follow her true passion and purpose
- Qualifying in different disciplines and skills to become indispensable to expeditions
- Believing in yourself - despite what others say
- Adventures on the River Wye for her 40th birthday - multi day trips
- Being a proud Fatsticks Ambassador and their commitment to becoming plastic free
- Cycling New Zealand on a bamboo bike speaking to 1000s of children about the ocean
- Writing education courses for Surfers Against Sewage
- Working with City to Sea on the environmental impact of period products
- Encouraging her students to believe in themselves when others doubt
- Combining her love for the sea with her education skills to improve the world
- The environmental damage done to the River Wye and trying to make a difference
- A new friendship via a Message in a Bottle
- The plastic bottle boat in Bristol Harbour with Hubbub
- The joy of paddleboarding in Bristol Harbour and the Kennet and Avon Canal
- SUP with a Pup with Pip her rescue dog
- Making Deliciously Ella's recipe for oats and dates bar
- Litter picking missions supported by the National Trust
- Adventures in Mexico, Ecaudor, Mozambique and Indonesia
- The Palm Peyto and why she loves it
- Paddleboarding in Cornwall with Vertical Blue
- Libby also gave a TEDx Talk
You can find Libby here:
I hope you find this episode as fascinating as I did. I would love to hear if you can relate to things she tells us about!
Thank you so much to Bluefin SUP for sponsoring Season 3 of the podcast.
Any questions, please email email@example.com.
Follow #thejoyofsuppodcast on Twitter and Instagram
Facebook The Joy of SUP Podcast
Please do also rate and review us on Apple as it will help more people find us!
Wishing you sunshine, thank you for listening, Jo x
Please always put safety first + get the right advice for your training + body. Please also be aware of the responsibilities and implications of organising or attending a SUP social.